|140-B, 1st Floor, 9th cross, Margosa Road, Malleshwaram,
|Bangalore-560 003, India.
||+91 80 2344 1202, +91 80 2346 9193
Ashok G.V. is a partner at TMT Law Practice, Bengaluru. He enrolled with the Bar Council of India in 2011 and specialises in commercial litigation, representing clients in litigations before trial courts, tribunals, authorities and high courts in commercial disputes and advising clients in the space, healthcare and pharmaceuticals industries on policy, compliance and contract management. A member of the ethics committee at a leading hospital in Bengaluru, Ashok also conducts training and capacity-building programmes for law enforcement across Karnataka.
Pro bono counselling and litigation also form a significant portion of Ashok’s work. A member of the Governing Council at Enfold Proactive Health Trust, a Bengaluru-based NGO working for sexual and personal safety for children and adults, Ashok provides free legal services to survivors of child sexual abuse and their families and to survivors of domestic violence.
- Bachelors of Law, Bangalore Institute of Legal Studies, Bangalore (2006-11)
- Spearheaded the firm’s intellectual property practice. Achievements include:
- 100% success in prosecuting trade mark applications without attracting office objections through pre-filing scrutiny of trade mark for compliance with Trade Marks Act, 1999, trade mark search, and thorough search report analysis.
- Design and formulation of a comprehensive trade secret management policy for a USD 510 million healthcare enterprise.
- Invited by the Professional Staff of the United States Senate Armed Services Committee for a consultation on Indo-US Bilateral Relationship in respect of space activities.
- Represented before trial courts, the Hon’ble High Court of Karnataka, the Debts Recovery Tribunal, the Central Government Industrial Disputes Tribunal-cum-Labour Court and the Supreme Court of India start-ups, individuals and multinational enterprises in litigations involving more than Rs 450 crore (USD 73 million) including:
- Securing waiver of interest and penalty before the Hon’ble High Court of
Karnataka for a real estate and construction business in Shifa constructions
v. The Addl. Commissioner of Commercial Taxes.
- Successfully defending a food and beverages manufacturer from a Winding up Petition involving a claim of Rs 15 million in HDFC Bank v. SSRB Food Processing Pvt Ltd.
- Significant engagements and representations include:
- Over 50 talks given on handling cases of sexual violence and the dynamics of child sexual abuse to more than 1,500 police officers, security experts, child welfare officers, social workers and students across Karnataka.
- Shielding a survivor of incest from a Family Court order that granted access to the offending father, who enjoyed diplomatic and consular protection, by invoking the High Court’s writ jurisdiction
- Safeguarding a survivor of domestic violence from forcible eviction by her mother-in-law, through effective use of the principles of per incurium and sub silentio for invalidating the Supreme Court verdict in S.R. Batra & Anr.
V. Taruna Batra (in which it was held that a daughter-in-law cannot enforce her shared household rights against her mother-in-law’s self- acquired property)
- Advising a team, headed by UNICEF, comprising NGOs and the State Government, in evolving child protection policies for schools in the State of Karnataka
- Filing a public interest litigation challenging constitutional validity of Section 36A of the Karnataka Police Act that prescribed registration of Eunuchs with the police.
- “Bengaluru’s School Shame: What's The Way Ahead”, on NDTV 24X7, November 1, 2014 (Discussion around safety of children in schools)
- “The Effects and Impact of Rape on a Child”, on TV9 News Channel, July 23, 2014
- “Ashok GV on founding CorLit Legal, Pro bono Work and Striving for Success”, www.superlawyer.in., August 24, 2014
- ‘The Porn Debate’, on News 9 , 4th of August, 2015
- Khaki War’, News 9, 15th of July, 2015
- Panel Discussions:
- Tally Solutions Pvt Ltd, Bangalore (a leading Indian business management software product company), “Contemporary Issues in State Indirect Tax Legislations”, St Marks Hotel, Bangalore, August, 2013
- “Naming and Shaming: Sexual Violence and the Media”, Oorvani Foundation (a Bangalore-registered trust set up to develop and promote deep-diving journalism on governance, citizenship, and society), Auditorium, Mt Carmel College, Bangalore, August 5, 2014
- http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/bengaluru/Penalise-the-abuser- not-the-abused-say-stakeholders-of-child-abuse/articleshow/49960907.cms
- “The Novartis Judgement as a Measure of India’s Commitment to Universal Healthcare” (a talk for businesses owners, management students, faculties of Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore and University of St Gallen, Switzerland) at the Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore, Bangalore, on November 11, 2014
- “Highlighting Poor Enforcement of India’s Environmental Laws Using the Ganga Water Pollution Case Study” (a talk for businesses, environmental activists, officials of swissnex India), at swissnex india office, Bangalore, on April 29, 2013
- Professional Memberships:
- Bar Council of Karnataka, India